St. John’s First Fleeters

st-johns-first-fleeters-promo-pic

“A View of Botany Bay.” An engraving of the First Fleet in Botany Bay at voyage’s end in 1788, by an unknown artist from The Voyage of Governor Phillip to Botany Bay (London: John Stockdale, Picadilly, 1789).

St. John’s First Fleeters is a collection of biographies about the First Fleeters buried at St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta, written by a team of historians.

The biographies are being published gradually throughout 2016 and 2017.

Over 50 First Fleeters are buried in the cemetery, but the majority have no memorial plaques and lie in unmarked graves. Ultimately, a complete list of the First Fleeters buried at the cemetery will appear on this page, but in the meantime the names of First Fleeters will only be added when the person’s burial at St. John’s is confirmed and their biography is written. At this stage, therefore, the majority of biographies available are on those who have a marked grave and/or a memorial plaque.

An asterisk indicates the person is buried in a marked grave and/or has a memorial plaque.


Augustus Alt: The Baron*

Frances Hannah Clements: The Convict’s Child*

Henry Dodd: The Faithful Servant*

Thomas Eccles: The Swine Connoisseur*

Edward Elliott: The Husbandman*

Thomas Freeman*

Deborah Herbert*

John Herbert: From Felon to Farmer*

Hugh Hughes: The Wheelwright Made Right*

Mary Kelly: The First Lady of Kellyville*

David Killpack: The Merry Mutineer*

Isaac Knight: The Trusty Sergeant*

John Martin: The Self-Freed Slave*

Jane McManus: The Maid Freed From The Gallows*

Christopher Palmer*

John Palmer: The Purser, The P.O.W*

Richard Partridge: The Left-Handed Flogger

James Wright: The Highwayman*


CREDITS

Authors: Michaela Ann Cameron, Judith Dunn, Penny Edwell, David Morgan, Danielle Thyer, Ben Vine.

Editing, Multimedia, and Publishing: Michaela Ann Cameron

Research Assistance: Jennifer Follers, The Fellowship of First Fleeters


ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

This project has been supported through a Parramatta City Council Community Grant.

This project has been assisted by funds allocated to the Royal Australian Historical Society through the Heritage Branch of the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage.